MG Motors India launched the Hector SUV in the country in June 2019 at a starting price of ₹12.18 lakh. The MG Hector is off to a good start in India as the SUV has received over 21,000 bookings and the company had to temporarily close the bookings. Are you planning to buy the MG Hector? Then you are in the right place. Here are the pros and cons of the MG Hector SUV.
MG Hector specifications
The MG Hector draws power from 1.5-litre petrol and 2-litre diesel engine. The diesel engine produces 168bhp and 350Nm of torque and comes mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox. The petrol engine produces 141bhp and 250Nm of torque and it is mated to a 6-speed manual or 6-speed DCT gearbox. The petrol engine also gets mild-hybrid technology which improves the overall fuel efficiency.
Pros or advantage of the MG Hector
- Design: The MG Hector is a big SUV in its segment and it will grab eyeballs on the road. The front end of the SUV features a large grille and split headlamps setup and the rear end is also busy with cuts and creases and a lot of chrome. The design might be subjective, but it has a commendable road presence.
- Engine: The MG Hector is available in both petrol and diesel engine options. There is also an option of the petrol-hybrid combo for those who are looking for better fuel efficiency. The diesel engine is easy-to-drive and the petrol unit offers enough punch. When combined with the DCT gearbox, the Hector delivers good performance and smooth ride quality.
- Features: The MG Hector is a feature-rich SUV and even the base variant of the Hector comes with all the necessary equipment. And if you opt for the top-spec variant of the Hector, you will be treated to features such as a large panoramic sunroof, a large touchscreen infotainment system, LED lights, powered tailgate, electrically adjustable front seats and much more.
- Safety: The MG Hector comes with standard safety features such as dual front airbags, ABS with EBD, ISOFIX child seat mounts, hill-hold assist and traction control. The top-spec model also gets 6 airbags, a 360-degree camera, front parking camera and much more.
- Connected SUV: MG Hector is a connected SUV as it comes equipped with an embedded SIM card. The iSmart connected technology offers a host of connectivity features. The Hector also comes with a smartphone app which allows you to control various vehicle functions.
- Warranty: The MG Hector comes with a standard warranty of 5 years/unlimited kilometers which is the best in its segment.
Cons or disadvantages of MG Hector
- No diesel-automatic combo: The MG Hector is available with diesel but it gets only a 6-speed manual gearbox. The DCT gearbox is offered only with the petrol engine and the petrol-hybrid engine also misses out on the automatic gearbox.
- Build quality: The build quality of the interior is not that great. The quality of the seat upholstery and cabin materials could have been better.
- After-sales and service: Well, this might not be a con but as MG Motors is a new brand, the sales and service network might not be on par with its competitors. Most importantly, the quality of service is yet to be known. So keep this in mind before making a decision.